Does the South Media Fire Company have any paid firefighters?
No, all of our members are unpaid volunteers. That includes our firefighters, officers, and administrative staff.
What shifts do you work?
We don't have set shifts that we work. We all have pagers (or iPhone apps) that alert us when there's an incident that requires our help. We could be eating dinner, at work, out buying groceries, or at home sleeping when the call comes in. We'll report to the station, get our gear, and respond to the emergency from there. Because there's no guarantee that we'll all be available at any given time, it's critical to have as many members from the community as possible.
How much training is involved?
We have drill every Monday night from 7 PM until about 9:00 PM, and cover a large variety of topics over the course of the year.
The Firefighter I certification consists of:
- Introduction to the Fire Service - 16 hours
- Hazardous Materials Awareness - 4 hours
- Fire Ground Support - 34 hours
- Exterior Firefighter - 52 hours
- Hazardous Materials Operations - 24 hours
- First Aid / CPR - 8 hours
- Interior Firefighter - 44 hours
- Firefighter I certification exam - 10 hours
The Vehicle Rescue certification consists of:
- Vehicle Rescue Awareness - 24 hours
- Vehicle Rescue Operations - 20 hours
Most fire school classes are held at either the Montgomery County Fire Academy or the Delaware County Emergency Services Training Center.
Do I have to pay for fire school?
No, we cover all of your training expenses.